Monday, December 12, 2011

How to Cure a Throat Infection

The simple answer: A flood of vitamins.

More specifically, Vitamin C.

I noticed my head felt foggy and I had that achey, I'm getting a cold feeling on Tuesday of last week.

I took some extra C and went on with my planned travel. I also was able to get a bit of extra rest thanks to my schedule.

But, by Friday, I had a tickle in my throat that I feared meant trouble. Sure enough, on Saturday morning, I woke to a sore throat that was very red and irritated. Thankfully, no fever. But, clearly, an infection that could have gotten worse.

Instead, I drank a second glass of Cranberry-Grape Juice (120% of your daily allowance of C in a single glass) and took a B12 (I usually only take B12 on Monday/Wednesday/Friday for an energy boost).

About two hours later, I took a chewable Vitamin C supplement and a Vitamin D3. You don't get enough Vitamin D in winter (lack of sun) and most people are Vitamin D deficient anyway. So, I took the extra D as an immune system booster -- knowing that C and D together could help fight off the infection.

Again on Saturday night, I took a chewable C and a Vitamin D pill.

I woke on Sunday with a much milder throat infection. By today, I'm feeling fine. A hint of redness, but my body is responding and fighting back.

This is the type of infection that can give your body fits for a week or more. But, with vitamins and some rest, I've managed to relegate it to a mere weekend inconvenience.

No comments:

Post a Comment